Basque Cheesecake & Strawberry Compôte
The Madhūka releases a caramel flavour throughout this creamy baked cheesecake favourite.
For the cheesecake
- 1 kg Cream cheese (or mascarpone)
- 7 Eggs
- 300 g Sugar
- 50 g Madhūka Powder
- 1 tbsp Plain flour
- 200 ml Double cream
For the compôte
- 250 g Strawberries, thinly sliced
- 100 ml Water
- 1 tbsp Golden caster sugar
- 1 tbsp Madhūka Powder
- Preheat the oven to 410°F (210°C). Line a 10 inch (25 cm) springform pan with enough parchment paper that it extends past the edges of the pan.
- Using an electric mixer or whisk, combine all the ingredients in a large bowl until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake on the center rack in the oven for 35-50 minutes (depending on how runny/solid you like it). When the cake is brown and almost burnt looking, turn the oven off. The center shouldn’t be completely set.
- Let it cool for an hour before popping it into the fridge to cool completely.
- For the compôte, on a medium heat, warm all the compôte ingredients together until the strawberries are cooked down.
- After a few hours in the refrigerator (overnight is even better), your cheesecake should be chilled enough to cut. Don’t remove the cake from the parchment paper until it’s ready to be served. Top with more strawberries if desired.